Platform for Sustainability Performance in Education launched
ACTS is delighted to announce that the Platform for Sustainability Performance in Education launched at the 27th Session of United Nations Environment Programme’s (UNEP) Governing Council in Nairobi, Kenya at a special Green Room Event led by UNEP including Environment Ministers, Education Sector leaders, Governmental and Non-Governmental advisers and representatives. The 27th Session of UNEP’s Governing Council is historic as it is UNEP’s first universal session, following the Rio+20 Summit last year, 40 years since UNEP was first established.
brings together global organisations which have created sustainability assessment tools designed to support universities and colleges improve their social, economic and environmental accountability. Australasia is represented by Learning in Future Environments
which is delivered and developed by ACTS in conjunction with the EAUC in the UK. By coming together it is our goal that more universities and colleges learn about the value of sustainability assessment tools to improve the sustainability performance across the whole of their institution. Education is being reinvented and we desperately need ‘turn-around’ leadership which is up to the challenge of delivering institutions and graduates which are fit for the economic, environmental and social complexity and challenges we now face.
It is also designed to assist commitments of HESI, Higher Education Sustainability Initiative signatories, by providing a range of tools and options in assessing and improving their sustainability performance. It can also support complimentary Rio+20 initiatives such as the People’s Sustainability Treaty on Higher Education.
The Platform brings together organisations from around the world that promote sustainability assessments tools, including:
- The Association for the Advancement in Sustainability in Higher Education – AASHE, North America
- Australasian Campuses Towards Sustainability – ACTS, Australasia
- Assessment Instrument for Sustainability in Higher Education – AISHE, Netherlands
- Conference of Grandes Ecoles – CGE, France
- Conference of University Presidents – CPU, France
- Conference of Rectors of Universities – CRUE, Spain
- Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges – EAUC, United Kingdom
- The Network for the Promotion of Sustainability in Postgraduate Education and Research – ProSPER.Net, Asia and Pacific.